FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Really need help with Xcode

<<

tazinator

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Really need help with Xcode

I need help on both the programming and design side. I am, well, having a hard time programming anything at all in Objective C or swift or using Xcode. I've only used them for like a month

If you have examples of the following or know someplace else with them, that'd be nice. Keep in mind I'm running off of mobile internet, so I can't go watching a big video

I also need to write up a game design document. Never done that before. Yay me. I'm trying to port Master of Orion to iPad. The DOS version. If you have any tips or insight into either the iPad interface or tablets in general that'd be great,
Play my new level! Two different teams fight over a nexus: One mainly defends while the other attacks! is fun
viewtopic.php?f=33&p=21002#p21002
<<

raptor

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: Really need help with Xcode

I'm afraid I can't help with the Obj-C or Xcode. But I do know that DOSBox is already ported to iOS:

http://www.litchie.com/pages/dospad.html

With that you can play Master of Orion.

If you're thinking about writing your own game, however, I'd start with general game programming tutorials to first learn about game programming, then learn about the interface design.
<<

tazinator

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks. I'll take a look at that, but... I was more planning to remake Master of Orion for iPad - advantage is I can use better looking images and improve the UI. Currently in planning stage.

This is how the game looks on DOS (emulated). I want to make it good looking.

Several areas where I think Master of Orion could benefit from touchscreen implementation/interface *
1. Transferring colonists or troops from one star to another easily
2. Transferring ships of fleets from one star to another
3. Meet with other races from the starmap, access spies reports
4. Transfer money around. Money lets you rush development. This is always fun, rushing!

Several adaptations would have to be made - sliders go on the bottom,. I would also prefer streamlining the interface and making using it for certain actions fun, as that, not just improving the graphical quality, is my goal.

But yeah I need to find some more programming guides.
Play my new level! Two different teams fight over a nexus: One mainly defends while the other attacks! is fun
<<

amgine

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:45 pm

This looks amazing hope there will be a windows version.

I updated tyrian2000 or jazz jackrabbit would be epic glad to see someone esle I know plays DOS games :)
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Oh I used to loooove Jazz Jackrabbit
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Yep good old devan shell always stoped in is tracks.... RIP jazz jackrabbit 3

If you want a thread for DOS games I can create one in Off Topic

anyways sorry for derailing the topic im sorry I cannot help im not familiar with X code myself im sure you can find something on wikipedia google or youtube.....
Last edited by amgine on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

tazinator

Post Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 pm

Hey amgine someone else is Already making a Java rewrite of master of Orion. They're currently in very limited alpha and soon going to beta.

But Java... Does not work on the iPad. So I am taking the opportunity.

You can read about it

http://www.java-moo.com/
<<

amgine

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:51 am

Cool thanks.

Probably one of my favorite games was a game called tyrian 2000 Its really good If somone ever updated they and made a epic version with better grapics and modernized music tracks I think I would die from all the epicness.]

and once again I derailed the topic darn you DOS games!
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to Technical Support