FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Gametype Layers

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.
<<

tazinator

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:56 pm

Gametype Layers

you should be able to have multiple layers in a level file, for the main purpose of playing it in different ways.
the main benefit would be in switching game modes. You make the main layer of the level, and the rest of the stuff is conditional and only appears if that gametype is being played. So if you make a level called EXAMPLE with 10 gametypes..
You place EXAMPLE in the level folder once. And it appears in core, in bitmatch, in every gametype from the drop down play levels list when you're playing a game.

Only hole from a players perspective I see is

Q: how does he select EXAMPLE from the all levels list?
A: Whatever makes sense to everyone
Play my new level! Two different teams fight over a nexus: One mainly defends while the other attacks! is fun
viewtopic.php?f=33&p=21002#p21002
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Gametype Layers

This would add considerable complexity, both from the editing POV, and from the game POV. What real advantage does this have over a set of related, but different maps?
<<

Fordcars

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Levelgen could do this :)
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

tazinator

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 pm

no it can't
for this to work, a level needs to show up in the interface for each gametype when selecting which level to play.
Wat: this is purely convenience. It has no compelling reason although it was a good idea at the time
Maybe instead of gametype layers, have sub folders for each gametype?
Play my new level! Two different teams fight over a nexus: One mainly defends while the other attacks! is fun
<<

amgine

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Bump forgot about this good idea.

You can kinda do this by having zones on top of another with a visable barrier in between.

It would be interesting though as a theory I don't think it wuld work in terms of game play the the novel idea of dropping floor to floor and ending up back where you started is neet.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

tazinator

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:16 pm

My idea was actually to have the settings for different game types all in one file, so you could pick variants of a map. It had nothing to do with changing gameplay, just interface stuff

Or you would consolidate any levels that weren't the same game type, so you could stick eight different levels in one file and have an easier time browsing your folder.

It would have little to no effect on gameplay, and would be totally unnecessary now that I think about it.

I can see where I failed at explaining or thinking it through now.. sorry bout that
<<

Fordcars

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:18 pm

Lol no worries, new ideas are never bad to have
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Oops look like I misunderstood.

I wonder if my idea could possibly work as a lev gen though....
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to Bitfighter Features