FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Co-op Editing.

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.

Should There Be Co-Op Editing?

Definitely yes
60%
Yes
40%
No
No votes
Definitely no.
No votes

Total votes : 5
<<

amgine

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:51 pm

Co-op Editing.

Hello amgine here.

What if there was a Multiplayer Editor Mode In Bitfighter?

1. Whoever was hosting would Be editor host.

2. They could give or remove permission to people to help with the editing as well as kick and ban poeple from the server ( To prevent trolls.) default for people who join would be "cannot edit"

3. It would have a chat so people could discuss level design and features to another.

What do you think?

amgine
Last edited by amgine on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Re: Co-op Editing.

I think it would be cool, but a lot of work to implement.
<<

raptor

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:22 pm

sam686 actually implemented a real-time editing-while-playing mode back in 015a (in one of his clones on Google Code).

We could fly around the level while he was placing barriers down.

The editor has be practically rewritten (twice?) since then and so I doubt it would merge now; but, the idea of turning the editor into a Game object with network capability is definitely doable (but would be LOTS of work!)
<<

amgine

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:19 pm

There is a issue though I am concerned would it be worth the effort If you made a multiplayer editor mode would people use it and would he benefits be greater than the risks would more people use it responsibly or troll?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:47 pm

It would be absolutely worth the effort.
This is something we've needed for a long time now
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Question is how hard would it to be to change the "editor" to a multiplayer feature .

Another concern I Have is how would levelgens be handled would they need there own section in the editor?

Edit : Rare moment Skybax actually agrees with me.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

furbuggy

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Yeah, there is really no question, I think this would make a lot of things possible.
BAM! I'm back.
<<

amgine

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:35 pm

Added a poll.

Are there any reason that it should not be added other then that it would be a TON of coding to do?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Fordcars

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:15 pm

I like the idea, but I think it would be difficult to implement it without making Bitfighter more complicated to the user. I guess the developers could probably make it ok, though. I was thinking maybe a Share this editor button or something, because having another lobby only for editing seems nuts.
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:32 pm

Problem is that wouldn't not allow for real time collaboration and editing on projects which defeats t ithe point of the multiplayer editing?
Last edited by amgine on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:24 am

Amgine, I think you misunderstand what Forcars is saying.
It would have the exact same functionality, just make it an actual "share this editor with someone" button than making an entirely separate "editor" lobby to join "editor" servers.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
<<

amgine

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:58 pm

My Potato IQ is still not understanding?

How would that be different from just handing the level files and level gen to another playing and saying add onto it ?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:12 am

Because then you'd have to wait for them to get back to you with the changes instead of view them making changes in real time and both be adding to the level at the same time.

Basically the entire point of the thread over what it currently is?

Wait didn't you make this thread how are you not understanding lol

Instead of have a separate lobby with editor servers (use your imagination to imagine what that would be like) which would take up a lot more space and make things more complicated, Fordcars suggested a simple "share with.." button in the editor menu that would allow you to select anyone who's online to instantly jump into your editor with you.

Not only would it make it much more private and eliminate the need for passwords and the danger of trolls, but it would probably be easier to do as well.
<<

raptor

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:21 am

Ideally, to integrate with what we've got - we'd have something like a "Host in editor" option and the editor would start up a server, just like a dedicated one, and advertise it in the lobby. Then people join and start working together - the difference being actions in the editor move other objects than just the ship.
<<

amgine

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:07 am

Would there be a way to do it from the editor already so people don't have to host find the level start it and then host it as a editor or do I misunderstand.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:46 pm

There probably would be. I think that sharing the editor might not be horribly difficult, but I would probably not suggest having players flying around while others are editing. I think that would introduce more complexity than it would be worth.
<<

Skybax

Post Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:58 am

Yeah that wouldn't make sense to have ships flying around when you're trying to build. Everyone would see the same normal editor screen, and everyone would "test" the level whenever the Host chose to. Makes much more sense.
<<

amgine

Post Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:39 am

True although the build from 15a ( I think it was) Where everyone could edit anything anywhere was kinda fun...although unplayable.

I still am wondering how LevelGens will work something tells me we may eventually need a way to Co op on those to though how I am not sure I will think about it.
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to Bitfighter Features