FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Asteroid Smart Spawn

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.
<<

furbuggy

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:18 pm

Asteroid Smart Spawn

So, asteroid flooding is a problem, and while I think my proposed fix would be pretty easy to implement through a level gen, maybe it would be worth making a feature in the level editor so that the regular map maker could more easily make not-horrible maps that happen to have asteroids.

Solution:
1) For each asteroid spawn, the map maker sets an adjustable radius.
2) The editor decides on a numerical cut-off point for that area.
3) As long as the number of asteroids in the area (X) are less than the cut-off point (Y), the spawner continues to spawn them.
4) Once X = Y, the spawner stops.

Bonus points:
The rate at which the spawner spawns asteroids gets slower as X -> Y, with an asymptote at Y.
BAM! I'm back.
<<

amgine

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:33 pm

Re: Asteroid Smart Spawn

I actully agree with this but I do have some concerns.

1. I think asteroid count should be over a entire level not a certain radius.

2. This breaks bitfighters best map ever airlock :)
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

furbuggy

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:35 pm

The adjustable radius would allow more flexibility, but would allow us to set it to the whole map if we wanted. Seems like a win-win.
BAM! I'm back.
<<

amgine

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:56 pm

I am not sure but couldn't you still have a problem of having like 20 extra asteroids in a level but them all being out of the spawn range thus keeping asteroids spawning?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:07 am

Yes amgine, of course if you used the entire concept of "zones" incorrectly and didn't plan ahead for the fact that asteroids move around (by making walls or increasing the zone size) then yes your map would be totally broken and unusable. Thanks for the great input there.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:12 am

Skybax wrote:Yes amgine, of course if you used the entire concept of "zones" incorrectly and didn't plan ahead for the fact that asteroids move around (by making walls or increasing the zone size) then yes your map would be totally broken and unusable. Thanks for the great input there.

I am not sure if that's sarcasm or not......

I really think just having asteroid spawns count asteroids for a entire level would be easier and more efficient less chances of levels getting overrun with asteroids that way and easier to edit one number then five.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:49 pm

This sort of limited asteroid spawner could be implemented in a level gen pretty simply.

We have a timer object that you could say every 10 seconds (or whatever) do something.

And that something would count how many asteroids are within a certain distance, and either spawn a new asteroid, or not.
<<

amgine

Post Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:40 am

True but not everyone is skilled enough to learn or know how to program I think having a general public version of this may be better.
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to Bitfighter Features