FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Colored Polywall + Art Tool

<<

FairNSquare

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Colored Polywall + Art Tool

Bitfighter Ideas!

I've been a bit tired of using and seeing the same color of Polywall in levels, blue, blue, and yet still blue. So the idea is simple, you can change the color of the Polywall to any shade of color you would like in the editor. Also, I think there should be an art tool (like a paintbrush) to create, well, art! Players can change the width of the paintbrush to make bigger or smaller strokes, and they can move their ship through art in-game. This art tool and colored Polywalls will make it easy for players to touch up their levels with cool designs and colors!

What do you guys think? I think these would be cool additions for the level editor to have.
There Are 210 Different Loadouts.

Choose Wisely.
<<

Skybax

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Re: Colored Polywall + Art Tool

You can change the colors of your own walls in your .ini
For example, mine are red instead of blue. But you can't change what other people see, because the color of the walls are client based (that's why mine can be red).

In order for you to change what others see, the colors of the walls would have to be server based.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

FairNSquare

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:28 pm

What I meant was that when you changed the color of a Polywall in the editor, everyone would see the Polywalls that way, I didn't know anything about this .ini that you could use to see Polywalls in a different color, seems cool btw. So do you see every wall in red? If so, then you wouldn't see the different colored Polywalls if the map was created that way in the level editor if this idea existed.
There Are 210 Different Loadouts.

Choose Wisely.
<<

amgine

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:04 pm

this actually has been suggested before but always was shot down by the developers And I really want this to be a thing :)
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:14 pm

It's a no because it would involve changing the way the game is coded. Polywall colors are client based, and in order to include it in any kind of level editing or in any way make other people see different colors (yes I see all red) it would involve changing the way the game processes the polywalls themselves.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
<<

amgine

Post Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:32 am

However it would allow for more creative varitey in bitfighter for example you could do colored bases or do really artistic levels which I think is worth it.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:34 pm

You can already do this with colored zones and lineitems
<<

amgine

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:46 am

YEs but it would be put into the general interface and be easier.

Line Items you have to edit the level code to change and zones have issues as if they are toi big they will cover the level up.

I dont see why its a issue here you could create colored C map images that work as great levels and implement it in creative ways...
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:45 am

amgine wrote:zones have issues as if they are toi big they will cover the level up

If the walls were too big they would cover the level up :?

Obviously you shape them how you want them amgine
<<

amgine

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:04 pm

However it is currently very difficult to do size as layering is decided by zise and if you want your entire base to have say a colored loadout zone it will be large and cover up 99% of the base which is a issue....

So instead of implementing layers you could implement colors it would be less effort and look better.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:38 pm

amgine wrote:However it is currently very difficult to do size as layering is decided by zise and if you want your entire base to have say a colored loadout zone it will be large and cover up 99% of the base which is a issue....

So instead of implementing layers you could implement colors it would be less effort and look better.

If you want your entire base to have a loadout zone... how is the loadout zone covering your entire base an issue? Amgine you can size it whatever you want for whatever you want. It's really not that hard.

And yes, implementing colors WOULD take much more effort because layers are ALREADY implemented.
<<

Fordcars

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Maybe it will look ugly:
screenshot_0.png

So maybe we should instead only allow the global wall color to be changeable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:25 pm

I actully disagree that looks awesome.....

I would depend on the Creators use of it if they want it to look good they can if they want it to look ugly they can It all depends on how it is used.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Fordcars

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Yes I agree, but I really like Bitfighter's style: even if you put a bunch of walls in a big lump, it will turn out into a pretty neon lump (walls are joined together for edges). If we would allow colors, of course it would look awesome if people use it right, but a lot of people (like me) wouldn't be able to do so.

So, I was thinking maybe allowing walls to be certain colors chosen from a neon pallet? Like, orange, red, blue, green, yellow etc?
<<

amgine

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Nah I think a full selection would be better.

Like I said it would depend on poepls use of it and as poeple use it they would get better at it and make better maps over time.....
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:54 am

Full range of color for use in polywalls, zones, and lines would be a huge addition to Bitfighter. Personally I'm all for it, I think an overhaul in the color palette could do wonders for level design and creativity, but I get why some folks are hesitant. It would definitely change the appearance of the game a bit.

As for using colored zones to emulate fake walls – blocking this is easy. Just disallow a chunk of RGB code that matches the wall color. Boom, no fake walls can be created and all other colors can be permitted.

For an idea of how color can be incorporated into Bitfighter, check out my level Taumata. It uses only three base colors – imagine if we had thousands of base colors to sample from. The possibilities are truly endless!
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

Skybax

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:11 am

sky_lark wrote:check out my level Taumata.

*Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauota
<<

amgine

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:28 pm

To chime in about the fake wall colors.......

Wouldn't that break some maps that use fake walls already like some dungeons?

Perhaps give wall outlines a different shade or maybe make them "look" thicker

Im not sure however since bitfighter uses vector graphics to draw stuff would this be possible?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:56 pm

I'm really against colored walls. Show me a mockup of a level where it looks good, then we can talk about it. I think Fordcars provided a great counter-example :-)
<<

Fordcars

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:32 pm

To really be honest, I was actually trying to make it pretty hah! But it turned out really ugly :') Maybe we could ask one of those creative minds out there to make one
<<

amgine

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Ill try to see if I can come up with something I have a idea formning already......

Like I said as players get used to it and use it more the levels designs and artistic value will go up So I think its worth investing in.
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to General Discussion