FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Spy bugs

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.
<<

C. Bob

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Spy bugs

What if spybugs were completely invisible, except for when you used advanced sensors?

The reason why this is different from mines is because while spybugs help, they don't kill you, and they require more preparation to use, since you have to have the advanced sensor module installed merely to possess spybugs.

This makes it harder, but not impossible to deal with spybugs, which makes them more valuable as a long-term source of information.

One unfortunate negative aspect of this is that it will make stealth less valuable, if more people are equipped with sensors (since sensors completely cancel out stealth). It also makes your attempts to sneak up on someone harder, if you don't know of a spybug, and are spotted next to it right before you cloak.

- Bob
BobBash: 2-0, W, 50%
BobBash II: 2-0, W, 71.4%
BobBash III: 2-0, W, 83.3%
Career: 68.4%
<<

Qui

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: Spy bugs

I don't think we need to worry about more people using sensors. This sounds like a good idea to me. An alternative would be to make spybugs even less obvious. They could perhaps be the size of a background star, but slightly darker. Sensors would reveal them full size, of course.
Qui ckRime
<<

C. Bob

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Qui wrote:I don't think we need to worry about more people using sensors.

Might need to think again on that; I dropped into Fur's team practice and we ended up using spybugs a lot more than normal. They can help a lot, if you place them right.

I'm not sure they're ideal, yet, but if they're boosted, you can bet they're gonna see a lot of use.
<<

sky_lark

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't like the idea of spy bugs being completely invisible. They're hard to see as it is. It just seems to me that it would injure the gameplay. Anyway, how would you kill them? Shoot at a patch of "nothing"?

In addition. Let's say we're playing CTF and a guy on our team has our flag. He goes into our base to hide. Oops, big mistake - an enemy littered the base with spy bugs, and in seconds the flag guy will be rained upon by enemies. OK, so base is kinda obvious anyway. He goes into a different hiding spot. Or maybe he's preparing an attack. The point is, the whole stealth factor would be injured severely, as I worry that people will place too MANY spy bugs versus too LITTLE.
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

C. Bob

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:30 pm

C. Bob wrote:What if spybugs were completely invisible, except for when you used advanced sensors?

There's your answer to spybug killing right there. Yes, you could fire at empty space, if you wanted to, and it could very well kill off some spybugs, but people with sensors would be the main ones to do them in.

I do appreciate that you recognize the value of spybugs -- they're normally an underestimated factor, but "Mutiny" fully shows what they're capable of.

That said, though, now that I've played in a game, I'm not as worried about spybugs being easy to kill -- it's true, they're very easy to find, but only when you're looking for them. If you're harried by attackers, or in the middle of trying to capture the flag, or kill someone, you may not be focused on the spy bugs that probably won't be there, and that'll give them the chance to work.

Older levels and all their 'empty space' also help, in that those are very good spybug placement zones. That center section in "Arcturus Triple Gakk", with the empty zone, might not see a lot of use (well, it can if you defend the teleporters), but you can put spybugs behind the outer walls, and have a clear view of your, or the enemy's, base.

I'm not against this idea, but I would like to see how ABFL play and developing strategies affect spybugs. If they're deemed useless after heavy play, then we can seriously consider a change; right now, I just don't know.
<<

Unknown

Post Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:06 pm

In addition to these ideas, to decrease Spy Bug value a little, how about if cloaked people are notified if they are being sensed by a spybug?
<<

bobdaduck

Global Moderator

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:11 pm

spybugs do not reveal cloaked people currently.
Little_Apple wrote:DnD: the REAL bitfighter levelgen documentation

Santiago ZAP wrote:bob doesn't make new maps, he makes new gamemodes
<<

C. Bob

Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:22 pm

When Unknown talks about being sensed, I believe he means that if the spybug detects you cloaking -- which means that people know there's a cloaked ship nearby, even though they don't know exactly where.

Return to Bitfighter Features