FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Consistency in controls...

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.
<<

furbuggy

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:24 pm

Consistency in controls...

So I'd like to see a little more consistency throughout bitfighter, as far as controls and interfaces are concerned.

First, {is there anyway that the "all chat" (the one that crosses all servers, and lobbies) could be command from the normal "global" chat box?

Could the same chat box be accessed through the level editor?}

Second, {could the controls in the editor more closely resemble the ones in the game? wasd for movement (as is already), but also space to pan faster, e to cycle through the tools in the editor, tab to open team editor? Reassign, v to zoom in, mouse scroll button to unsnap the grid.}

Third, {just as kind of a good thing to have, could shift be used drag something straight to the closest 45 degree angle? So that I could drag an object directly to the right with no problem}.
BAM! I'm back.
<<

Skybax

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Re: Consistency in controls...

I don't see why space should be pan faster instead of shift. People can put boost in any slot lol
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

furbuggy

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:16 am

Oh, yeah, I guess could we just make it so that you can customize your level builder controls? And add the third suggestion I made?
BAM! I'm back.
<<

raptor

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:25 am

The lobby chat can be accessed from anywhere by pressing F5 (if you're connected to master).

The editor controls are meant to be used like other graphics editors... but some are just like playing the game. Improvements can definitely be made.
<<

Fordcars

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:11 am

raptor wrote:The lobby chat can be accessed from anywhere by pressing F5 (if you're connected to master).

What. I had no idea.
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:29 am

I agree the level editor could be a tad easier to use.

Another issue I have is constatly hitting F5 then F4 to switch back and forth from plugins to items though I doubt it could be made any better...
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:55 am

I'm all for consistency. I want to make sure I understand what ou are proposing.

furbuggy wrote:First, {is there anyway that the "all chat" (the one that crosses all servers, and lobbies) could be command from the normal "global" chat box?

So what exactly do you want? That lobby chat messages be visible in game, and that you and reply with a similar mechanism to [T]eam and [G]lobal chat? (Maybe a [L]obby chat control?)

furbuggy wrote:Could the same chat box be accessed through the level editor?}

Does F5 do this for you, or do you want to see the messages in the editor UI in a manner similar to what you have in-game? (and reply in the same manner as in-game?)

furbuggy wrote:Second, {could the controls in the editor more closely resemble the ones in the game? wasd for movement (as is already), but also space to pan faster, e to cycle through the tools in the editor, tab to open team editor? Reassign, v to zoom in, mouse scroll button to unsnap the grid.}

Sorry, I don't fully get this. There is no concept of editor tools per se, so I'm not sure what [E] would do. Tab could open the team editor, but that is a less frequently used function, and assigning it to a "major" key seems wrong. The space-to-disable snap is a shortcut used in lots of graphics programs, so I'd like to keep it. So what you're left with is a pretty modest proposal :-). That said, editor keys will be rebindable in 020 (I think) so you should be able to get much of what you want by modifying the INI.

furbuggy wrote:Third, {just as kind of a good thing to have, could shift be used drag something straight to the closest 45 degree angle? So that I could drag an object directly to the right with no problem}.
Snapping is intended to help with that, but I think it's a good suggestion. It may conflict slightly with selecting multiple things and dragging them (holding shift and clicking on items, then beginning a drag... you'd need to coordinate your release of the shift key a little).

But... https://github.com/bitfighter/bitfighter/issues/548
<<

furbuggy

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:44 pm

watusimoto wrote: (Maybe a [L]obby chat control?)

Yes! :D preferably the lobby chat would work across all servers, the lobby, and the level editor.

watusimoto wrote: editor UI in a manner similar to what you have in-game? (and reply in the same manner as in-game?)

Yes please, and this would function with the Lobby chat probably the best.

watusimoto wrote: That said, editor keys will be rebindable in 020 (I think) so you should be able to get much of what you want by modifying the INI.

That takes care of that.

I'd love that... maybe we could differentiate left shift and right shift as far as straight line snapping and multi selecting? Of course if we can set the controls ourselves, it doesn't matter too much.
BAM! I'm back.
<<

amgine

Post Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:44 am

Its off topic a tad but I thought I would throw it out there.

Another thing that would be nice is a plugin that would allow you to move objects to a exact X,Y coordinate using the center of the object as a reference point. ( all Y values will have to have their values reversed since the Y axis is upside down for some reason.)
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:43 pm

I created https://github.com/bitfighter/bitfighter/issues/550 Still uncertain about lobby chat in-game... would all lobby chat messages appear in-game? If so, wouldn't that get distracting if you are playing and trying to communicate with teammates?
<<

amgine

Post Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:27 am

I don't think so if there was a setting to filter Lobby chat On/Off also giving room and lobby chat different colors would help.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:01 pm

That would be easy to implement, but would add complexity to the client.

Return to Bitfighter Features