FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Ball or flag returning to their original spawn point

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.
<<

sky_lark

Post Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:34 am

Ball or flag returning to their original spawn point

Hi, would it be possible to get a toggle for balls or flags (in non-nexus modes) to return to their original spawn point after a score instead of a random spawn point like it is currently?

Currently, imagine a level with two soccerballs. As soon as one soccer ball is scored it doesn't necessarily return to its original placement in the level editor, it might go to the spawn of a different soccer ball, even if no ballspawns were placed. Similarly, with flags, as long as there are neutral flags in play, a team flag might go to a neutral flag's location after being scored instead of returning to its original point.

There are some really interesting concepts involving multiple soccer balls or multiple flags, but when these items return to random locations, it can be quite difficult to work with. Just a simple toggle when clicking on a ball or flag, to have it Return to Original Spawnpoint (or something along those lines), would be quite helpful for level creation. That, or just modify this entirely and use the flagspawns feature to have spawning of balls/flags at different locations?

Thanks for considering!
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

Santiago ZAP

Post Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:31 am

Re: Ball or flag returning to their original spawn point

I think this could be done by giving Flags/Ball an ID, along with their spawn points, All ID 1 flags return to the ID 1 Spots, and if there are too much ID 1 spots, then have the randomness in, you know?

Excellent suggestion!
:zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance:
<<

raptor

Post Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:15 pm

I think this is a good feature - to allow a flag or ball to be "locked" to its starting point. Can you please open an issue on github? You can just copy/paste exactly what you have here.
<<

amgine

Post Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:37 pm

I completly support this

I have had several maps with that issue where I would place a flag and it ended up going back to the wrong location and ended up near a enemy base allowing them to capture easily.

I was wondering though is there any practical apllication of having flags rotate between locations that should be taken into consideration?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:36 pm

As long as this is toggle-able I'm all for it
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

sky_lark

Post Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Will do raptor.

amgine wrote:I was wondering though is there any practical apllication of having flags rotate between locations that should be taken into consideration?

I think there is, it creates a level of randomness which is often desired for various maps.

That said, I'm curious if there's even a need for returning flags/balls to their original spawn points to be a toggle, as opposed to a permanent change. Hear me out: Flag/balls can already be returned to random spawns with the placement of flag/ball spawns. If I want flags/balls to return to random locations as opposed to their original locations, I would just drag on spawns from the sidebar. It seems like it would be redundant to have a toggle when placeable spawns are a thing, right?
<<

raptor

Post Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:59 am

Done. A SpawnLock option has been added to SoccerBallItem and FlagItem in the editor for next release.

It may be redundant to have SpawnLock when the user has flag spawns on the map but I give it as an option anyway. A level designer could have one flag rotate through all the spawns, and another locked. There are weird cases that may occur, but I'm fine with map makers discovering/exploiting them. :)
<<

sky_lark

Post Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:26 pm

raptor wrote:A level designer could have one flag rotate through all the spawns, and another locked. There are weird cases that may occur, but I'm fine with map makers discovering/exploiting them. :)

Ahh great idea. Then yeah, a toggle definitely makes more sense. Thanks for adding it in!

Return to Bitfighter Features