FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Asteroid Size and Damage.

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.

Should asteroids damage be changed?

Yes it should do damage relative to size and break upon impact.
5
63%
Yes it should do damage relative to size but not break upon impact.
1
13%
No Damage should remain the same regardless of size.
2
25%
 
Total votes : 8
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:45 pm

Asteroid Size and Damage.

Here is a Idea instead of all asteroids instant killing you what if they did damage relative to there size as follows

Size 1 : 20% <> Size 2 : 40% <> Size 3 : 60% <> Size 4 : 80% <> Size 5 : 100% of a ship's health gauge.

This would balance them out and make them more usable and have more usage in a game....
Last edited by amgine on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Posts: 1556

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:07 pm

Location: Quartz's mom's house

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

What would happen after they hit you? Bounce off like testItems?
<<

Fordcars

User avatar

Posts: 982

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Location: Some city, somewhere

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Ooooo sounds good. Maybe it would disappear when it hit you?
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Preferably just bounce off like test items so only shots would break them.....

Still I think this would really balance them out and make them less game breaking......
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

User avatar

Posts: 1003

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

Location: Washington

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

No I think they should break when they hit you lol
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Posts: 1556

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:07 pm

Location: Quartz's mom's house

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:27 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Break and change direction probably makes the most sense... but isn't killing good?
<<

Skybax

User avatar

Posts: 1003

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

Location: Washington

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:35 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Here's how I feel about asteroids.

Because they are one hit kill items, it's extremely easy to misuse them.
You can easy make a room impassible by flooding it with asteroids. And if they spawn on you you're instantly dead.

It's difficult to reach the happy medium when dealing with absolutes.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Posts: 1556

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:07 pm

Location: Quartz's mom's house

Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:50 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

I'd be willing to give this a try if there was some sort of consensus. Anyone want to make the case for keeping asteroids as-is?
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:08 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Ok after some thought I deciced.

I think that asteroids should do .2 damage for each size.

Asteroids should break down and change direction after hitting a ship.

and asteroids should still be affected by bullets.

To me logically a large asteroid would do more damage to a ship at least realisticly

However as raptor said I would like to see someone else's opinion for leaving it as is.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

User avatar

Posts: 1890

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Location: North Carolina

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

To play devil's avocado, this seems like it would limit the danger appeal of asteroids. If I knew colliding with an asteroid would only somewhat injure me, I'd be a lot less nervous when entering a room full of them. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe not. Just something to think about.

On the other hand, it would turn spontaneously dying by a random asteroid to only losing a chunk of health... which is significantly less annoying ;)
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscordSteam
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

*Gives Fordcars a Devilfruit instead (eat at your own risk).

I think it would be better as right now asteroids are under utilized due to the fact they instant kill people so adding even a single asteroid spawn breaks a map this would help make asteroids more useful in design.
Last edited by amgine on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Fordcars

User avatar

Posts: 982

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Location: Some city, somewhere

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

amgine wrote:*Gives Fordcars a Devil fruit instead (eat at your own risk).


Awnu!
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:13 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Added a poll!

I couldnt think of another no answer to maintain fair bias against yes....
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

raptor

Posts: 1021

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Post Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

I'll make a fledgling case for keeping it 'as is':

Smaller asteroids move faster than larger ones, so if we pretend it be like real physics, then the faster moving asteroids could easily add the same amount damage (or more, since energy is related to the square of the velocity).

We could make this incredibly complex and base the damage off of: impact speed of both objects and the size of the asteroid.

Or we can leave it 'as is'.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Posts: 1556

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:07 pm

Location: Quartz's mom's house

Post Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:01 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

The question is should asteroids only maim, or should they kill? I would not advocate for different size asteroids doing different size damage.
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

It would be really easy for new players to understand big = more damage small = less damage and logicly it makes more sense a bowling ball hurts more than a grape.

As for removing Asteroid kills No it would remove their ability to be a threat and make them test items.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

User avatar

Posts: 1003

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

Location: Washington

Post Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

amgine wrote:a bowling ball hurts more than a grape

Actually, in space a frozen turd can rip through a moving spaceship simply because of velocity
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

Little_Apple

User avatar

Posts: 829

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Location: Zanzibar Land

Post Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:08 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Skybax wrote:Actually, in space a frozen turd can rip through a moving spaceship simply because of velocity

Can this replace asteroids in the next update
Hee-ho!
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

I think this would be a good change

The threats from a asteroid is just to great you barely touch one of any size and it instantly kills you which makes no sense generally even spacecraft have to take damage before they are destroyed.

It would also make Nexus more playable nothing more annoying then collecting 50 flags then barely grazing a asteroid and losing all your progres..
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

furbuggy

Posts: 266

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Location: Mesa AZ | Ithaca NY

Post Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

While it's true that tiny frozen turds could destroy a ship in space, given velocity, that logic does not explain why an asteroid kills you but resource and test items don't-- we don't want a logical game, we want a fun game.

Asteroids do damage because it's cool to have something like that. I think smaller ones doing damage would be cool, because then, with skill and luck, you can actually survive flying through an asteroid field, and that would be cool accomplishment.
BAM! I'm back.
<<

Skybax

User avatar

Posts: 1003

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

Location: Washington

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:15 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

furbuggy wrote:that logic does not explain why an asteroid kills you but resource and test items don't

Anti-Magnetic shields :ugeek:
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Personally I think its better Having a More size does more damage mechanic makes more sense to me and perhaps new players then having one size does a fixed damage it also would take out the overly high risk of getting instant killed from as with skill you could fly trough a asteroid field unharmed or at least with little damage.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

User avatar

Posts: 1890

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Location: North Carolina

Post Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Maybe all asteroids deal 75% of damage? If you're already weak, boom you're dead. If you have full health, you scrape by. The threat of asteroids remains very real but it's a little less harsh.
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscordSteam
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Thats actully higher right now it does 50% and can kill you so you want it to do 75% instead?

unless you mean only up to 75% and not kill which I disagree I still think it should do 20 40 60 80 100% of a ships health gauge.
Last edited by amgine on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

User avatar

Posts: 1003

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

Location: Washington

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:56 am

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

50% damage can only kill you if you have equal to or less than half health
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Wouldnt buffing the damage asteroids do make them less usable though?

right now no one really uses asteroid spawns due to its spawn/damage rate bineg so high it only takes 5 asteroids to overrun a level.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

User avatar

Posts: 1003

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

Location: Washington

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:16 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Amgine, currently asteroids do 100% damage. As in, you touch them, regardless of how much health you have, and you die. They kill 100% of you.

75% damage, if you're full health, would only kill you 75% of the way. Meaning 25% of you is still alive and shooting. Meaning you wouldn't die.

So making the asteroids only deal 75% damage would not be buffing the asteroid damage. It would be nerfing it.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

that logic is flawed Damage is irrelevant without a point of relativity which is a ship's Hp which Is what im using and this thread is based on.

for example 1/10 is 10% but 10/100 is still....10%

So If a asteroid does 100000 damage but only 99% it does 999999 damage.

If it does 99% of a ships health it does 99 damage huge difference.

That is why I think having a asteroid do a % damage of a ship's health gauge based on its size is the best and most logical setup.

This is also important cause Damage amounts would still be the same even if a ship's health was increased later.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

User avatar

Posts: 1003

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

Location: Washington

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Amgine that's exactly what I just said
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Its not but lets not hijack threads with pointless arguments.

The point is asteroids should do damage relative to size agree or disagree?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Posts: 1556

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:07 pm

Location: Quartz's mom's house

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

All damage is relative... from 0-1 (or from 0-100% if you prefer). There is no absolute number of "hit points".
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Ok.

Could we create a level gen to test this maybe on a map like airlock?

I think 20 40 60 80 100 % (.2 .4 .6 .8 1) makes more sense It would.

1. Levels cant get over run with asteroids.
2. Damage would be easier For beginners to understand.
3. Makes having levels in asteroid spawns in levels more strategic.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

raptor wrote:I'll make a fledgling case for keeping it 'as is':

Smaller asteroids move faster than larger ones, so if we pretend it be like real physics, then the faster moving asteroids could easily add the same amount damage (or more, since energy is related to the square of the velocity).

We could make this incredibly complex and base the damage off of: impact speed of both objects and the size of the asteroid.

Or we can leave it 'as is'.


Correcting you on your incorrect concept of physics here larger objects have more interia so they have a higher top speed comaped to small ones but they also reqire more energy to get moving.

More People seem for this then against this should we try it for 1 build and see if it sticks?

By congressial vote we have the 70% needed to pass it into law.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

User avatar

Posts: 1003

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

Location: Washington

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

What even.

Smaller objects move faster than bigger objects if they are each given the same amount of force, not just because of mass but because of surface area friction. Everything has the same top speed.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:12 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Skybax wrote:What even.

Smaller objects move faster than bigger objects if they are each given the same amount of force, not just because of mass but because of surface area friction. Everything has the same top speed.


this is wrong

larger objects have more potential energy and have a higher top speed but require more energy to get started. they also require more energy to stop due to newtons 2nd law and interia look it up.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Fordcars

User avatar

Posts: 982

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Location: Some city, somewhere

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Technicallyyy all objects have the same top speed though ;) (the speed of light)

More massive objects do have more kinetic energy than smaller objects if they travel at the same speed, though.
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Keeping this on track should this be changed?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Fordcars

User avatar

Posts: 982

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Location: Some city, somewhere

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

Personally, I find changing this would add more complexity with not that much benefit, but I would like to hear what others have to say...
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Posts: 1314

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: Asteroid Size and Damage.

idk I think it makes more sense big asteroid = more damage and smaller = less damage then evry size insta kills yu for no reason.
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to Bitfighter Features

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron