FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

CONSPIRACY THEORIES CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT (Feb-Mar 2018)

<<

Quartz

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:30 pm

CONSPIRACY THEORIES CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT (Feb-Mar 2018)

Is it a contest? Is it a thinly-veiled fight to the death, covered up by the government? Is it a plot that threatens to destabilize society? Are we being watched by the NSA?

The only sane response to all four of these queries is a firm “yes.”

CONSPIRACY THEORIES CONTEST

Well, y’all voted for this. Welcome to the conspiracy theories level-designing contest, wherein the theme is, shockingly, conspiracy theories.

THEME & INSTRUCTIONS:

According to good ol’ Wikipedia: “a conspiracy theory is an explanation of an event or situation that invokes an unwarranted conspiracy, generally one involving an illegal or harmful act carried out by government or other powerful actors. Conspiracy theories often produce hypotheses that contradict the prevailing understanding of history or simple facts.”

“Conspiracy theories rely on the view that the universe is governed by design, and embody three principles: nothing happens by accident, nothing is as it seems, and everything is connected.”

If you need inspiration, this rather comprehensive list might help you. Actually proven conspiracy theories are fair game as well, like the aforementioned National Surveillance Agency scandal.

You may submit any type of map, from deathmatch to soccer, from dungeons to other novelties. It doesn’t matter. All that matter is it is thematically related to conspiracy theories (already-existing or created) in some way.

Private Message me your level when you’re ready to submit it. I will try my absolute best to break your map, and if I manage, I will let you know. Regardless of whether it’s breakable or not, I will of course allow you to resubmit updated versions of your map up until the deadline.

If you submit a map within minutes of the deadline and I break it, I will either run it broken or else fix it myself. So beware of that trap, because it's honestly happened many times.

RULES:

Pretty straightforward rules.
- You may submit up to three maps.
- Anonymity is vital. Don’t tell people whose map is yours’ and submit your maps with a pseudonym for the author credits. Otherwise, a pseudonym will be provided for you, which you may or may not like!
- Don’t cheat the voting system.

VOTING & PRIZES:

I’m going to experiment with something a little crazy for voting. Instead of using a round-based system of voting until elimination, I will allow everyone to vote for their top five favorite maps, in order of preference, and determine the winner from that.

I will be throwing those results through a series of different election methods: Plurality, borda count, plurality with elimination, and pairwise comparison. It should make for interesting results. If you have questions about this, feel free to ask me, but suffice to say you can end up with different winners with each of these.

Accordingly, I will be offering a $5 prize via mailed cash, PayPal, Amazon, Steam, etc. to the winner of each election method. It’s possible one person could win with all four methods and win $20, and it’s also possible four different people could win, resulting in $5 for four different contestants.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

Map submission period: EXTENDED FOR YOU LAZY BUMS!
THE DEADLINE IS NOW SUNDAY, MARCH 19 AT 11:59 PACIFIC STANDARD TIME. That’s essentially 1 A.M. Mountain Time, 2 A.M. Central Time, and 3 A.M. Eastern Time … technically very early Monday morning for those folks.

I will also be planning a party for soon after that ending period. Stay tuned!

After that, there will be a week-long playing and voting period, where you can play the maps with other folks on a dedicated server. There will be a party featuring the levels, date to be announced.

After the voting period ends, I will calculate everything and announce the winners, making sure to show the methods of calculation then so everyone can fully comprehend.
Last edited by Quartz on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

bobdaduck

Global Moderator

Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 pm

Re: CONSPIRACY THEORIES CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT (Feb-Mar 2018)

Oh ho ho, you just want to mine me for creativity while simultaneously learning what conspiracy theory I think would go best as a bitfighter level. Well, you can't hide from me. I've figured you out.

Nothing gets past me.
Little_Apple wrote:DnD: the REAL bitfighter levelgen documentation

Santiago ZAP wrote:bob doesn't make new maps, he makes new gamemodes
<<

Quartz

Post Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:18 pm

bobdaduck wrote:Oh ho ho, you just want to mine me for creativity while simultaneously learning what conspiracy theory I think would go best as a bitfighter level. Well, you can't hide from me. I've figured you out.

Nothing gets past me.

Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

Fordcars

Post Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:26 am

Hell yes :zapdance:
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

raptor

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Map deadline almost here! (Tomorrow at midnight-ish)

Return to Contests