FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Zip Tiles

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.

Should Zip Tiles be implemented?

Yes Add zip tiles but keep the old speed boosts.
63%
Yes add zip tiles and remove the old speed boosts.
No votes
No Keep the old Speed boosts only.
38%

Total votes : 8
<<

amgine

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Zip Tiles

Hey amgine here again.

I had a thought for a new game item Zip Tiles it is a tile basically acts as a 360 degree speed boost here are some of its features..

How it works
------------------------

1. Can be used to boost in any direction relative to the direction the direction the ship fly's into it.

2. Can be assigned snapping or non snapping so it can be used in a similar fashion to Traditional speed boosts.

3. Can be assigned various ways such as to a team so only that team can use it Be assigned neutral so anyone can use or or assigned to hostile ( Recommended effect unknown)

4. Cannot be destroyed or engineered (for now)

5. Would look something like http://cliparts.co/cliparts/di9/Kyo/di9KyorxT.png

-------

Why

------
1. Would allow more flexibility with speed boosts allowing players to use them to chase and defend other players better

2. Would allow for wider more open maps to be more playable instead of small and compact.

3. Would allow for single and "chains" of speed boosts where you could hit several boosts in chain to cross a map faster or for single boost.

What do you guys think...

amgine
Last edited by amgine on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Fordcars

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:28 pm

Re: Zip Tiles

Nicee! In my opinion, we should actually expand SlipZones, allow them to speed up or slow down or change the friction? We could call it a gravity pad or something I don't know.
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

amgine

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:48 pm

Interesting idea create a new thread for it!
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:35 pm

This is an interesting idea. Not sure I like it, but it is one of the better ideas I've heard for new game objects. Well, ok, I kind of like it.
<<

amgine

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:00 pm

So I see most people are for it but I see some people are against it could someone post there opinion on why it should not be added?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:18 pm

More stuff, more stuff, more stuff. Threatens to make the game cluttered when we already have an object or two that basically accomplishes these things. It's certainly not a bad idea, but there's no real need or want for it.
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

Little_Apple

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Isn't this achievable via levelgen?
Hee-ho!
<<

amgine

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:03 pm

Quartz wrote:More stuff, more stuff, more stuff. Threatens to make the game cluttered when we already have an object or two that basically accomplishes these things. It's certainly not a bad idea, but there's no real need or want for it.

1. It has more flexibility then a regular speed zone you can use it to go in any direction compared to touching any side of a speed zone and going in a fixed direction.

2. It is multi purpose you could place them in a map to allow to "chains" of boosts to cross a map faster or use it once in a single direction to chase a ship.

3. It would allow for larger more open maps as you would be able to "chase" opponent ships in any direction.

4. snapping would allow for It to be used in the same way as a classic boost provided a ship was given a limited path onto the boost (like walls inhibiting it.)

5. Team boosts would allow for quick counter play on a a stolen flag as was as heavy aggresive play by boosting into the enemy base.

6. Could replace the traditional speed boosts all together due to its wider flexbility.

Isn't this achievable via levelgen?

As far as I know no however even if it was it would be alot easier to place a single item then to spend hours writing a levgen script.

Feel free to change your vote if your opinion changes.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:06 pm

amgine wrote:1. It has more flexibility then a regular speed zone you can use it to go in any direction compared to touching any side of a speed zone and going in a fixed direction.
But why

amgine wrote:2. It is multi purpose you could place them in a map to allow to "chains" of boosts to cross a map faster or use it once in a single direction to chase a ship.
You can already do this with normal speed zones

amgine wrote:3. It would allow for larger more open maps as you would be able to "chase" opponent ships in any direction.

amgine wrote:4. snapping would allow for It to be used in the same way as a classic boost provided a ship was given a limited path onto the boost (like walls inhibiting it.)
Oh yay I've always wanted an item that can do the same thing as a slightly different item

amgine wrote:5. Team boosts would allow for quick counter play on a a stolen flag as was as heavy aggressive play by boosting into the enemy base.
I've all for making speed zones team specific. But if they were, then, well, you could already do this with speed zones

amgine wrote:6. Could replace the traditional speed boosts all together due to its wider flexibility.
But I don't want that much flexibility in terms of in what direction ships can shoot themselves

P.S. I fixed your typos for you
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Skybax wrote:
amgine wrote:1. It has more flexibility then a regular speed zone you can use it to go in any direction compared to touching any side of a speed zone and going in a fixed direction.
But why

1. It would allow for crossing large open maps in many ways other then the standard speed zones one direction.

amgine wrote:2. It is multi purpose you could place them in a map to allow to "chains" of boosts to cross a map faster or use it once in a single direction to chase a ship.

Not really as is you can only use a speed boost in one direction with Zip tiles you could use them to "chain" 2 boosts together in one direction or use it once in a different direction.

amgine wrote:3. It would allow for larger more open maps as you would be able to "chase" opponent ships in any direction.

See above As I said it would allow for chasing ships in more then 1 direction then the standard speed zone does.

amgine wrote:4. snapping would allow for It to be used in the same way as a classic boost provided a ship was given a limited path onto the boost (like walls inhibiting it.)
Oh yay I've always wanted an item that can do the same thing as a slightly different item.

The reason I suggest this is so it could be used as a standard speed boost or as a Zip tile giving both flexibility.

amgine wrote:5. Team boosts would allow for quick counter play on a a stolen flag as was as heavy aggressive play by boosting into the enemy base.
I've all for making speed zones team specific. But if they were, then, well, you could already do this with speed zones

amgine wrote:6. Could replace the traditional speed boosts all together due to its wider flexibility.
But I don't want that much flexibility in terms of in what direction ships can shoot themselves.

Even if it helps with larger open maps being playable? Also right now speed zones are neutral only meaning everyone can use them being able to place Team Zip tiles in a base would allow for stronger counter play as well as the standard offensive ability.

That whys where there point four with snapping you can use them as standard speed boost given a limited path onto a tile or place them in a large open zone to allow to large maps to be playable.

P.S. I fixed your typos for you
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Skybax

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:25 pm

That was just too many quotes.

1. But why would that be something that we'd want? Speed zones are used at a map maker's discretion to allow players to get to areas that the mapmaker wants them to get to. You want multiple directions, use multiple speed zones. It's not that difficult.

2. I don't understand what you're saying. You can "chain" together two normal speed zones to do the same thing in any direction.

3. You can go as fast as your enemies can. Zip tiles would actually make it MORE difficult to chase your enemies, because if they enter the zip tile before you get there, you wouldn't know which direction they went. A speed zone can only go one direction, so they're easy to follow.

4. That's an irrelevant point.

6. It would help larger maps be playable in the exact same way that a normal speed zone would. It's all up to the mapmaker as to whether or not they want their map to be a giant empty space of nothing.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:42 am

1. Not necessarily Simply putting many speedzones in a circle does not work you would have to fly to the specific arrow you want to hit to move in that direction in addition it would be a HUGE time saver as you would not have to spend time placing hundreds of speed zones down.

2. What I'm trying to say is you could put two of them in a straight line to allow to go really far in one direction or use them separately in another direction which is huge strategically.

3. Not really if you know the maps layout players would learn "key" paths over time which would be used more then others for example players would alsmot always boost in the general direction of a Flag or Goal zone so you would know to be able to follow them ea great example of this a a game called tagpro which uses 360 boosts (and where the idea comes from) and it works great Also this would make the use of sensors way more applicable.

4. Not really being able to use it for standard or varied use would make it still usable and if there was still a need for standard speed boosts they would still be there for use so its not harming anything.

6. People will always make "crappy" maps out of the stuff you give them for nay game no matter how well you try to make it otherwise rather as players learn how to use items they will become better over time not letting players be "creative" makes a game less fun if everything must be the same.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:47 pm

You could do this with a levelgen, but what you couldn't do is render the ziptile object; you would basically create a zone (which is invisible), add an event handler that listens for a ship entering the zone, then gives it a certain velocity. You could probably "draw" the zip tile using lines... kind of gimicky, but it would probably work.

I don't think snapping would work, as the idea of a ziptile is that you exit in a direction based on the way you enter it. If it had snapping, it would work just like a speedzone with snapping, right?
<<

amgine

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:18 am

I tried creating it with line items it looked really bad......

Kinda all snapping does is let you "adjust" your flight trajctory or not be able to good if you want to be more/less precise in the situation Less being open maps and and more being Semi open ones......at least in theory.

Last bumped by amgine on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:18 am.
Bitfighter Forever.

Return to Bitfighter Features