FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

On RTS

<<

sky_lark

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 pm

On RTS

I've seen two RTS maps in the past week that have been really fun. Is this prompting a new direction in Bitfighter novelty maps? Dungeons have served us well for many years but I know I am not the only one itching to try something new and innovative.

What do you guys think? My understanding is bobdaduck is the sole creator of both maps. Is there potential for this to develop as a new niche in Bitfighter mapmaking or will it simply exist as the fruition of a single user?

Let's get a discussion rolling.
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

Little_Apple

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: On RTS

in game levelgens are the best thing to happen to level making since being able to create walls.
Hee-ho!
<<

bobdaduck

Global Moderator

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm the only one who can both do good level design, and implement scripts.

I don't foresee anyone else really reaching that point soon. Maybe Little_Apple is on his way there but we'll have to see.
Little_Apple wrote:DnD: the REAL bitfighter levelgen documentation

Santiago ZAP wrote:bob doesn't make new maps, he makes new gamemodes
<<

Lamp

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:12 am

Little_Apple wrote:in game levelgens are the best thing to happen to level making since being able to create walls.

I like, no, I LOVE bobdaduck's levelgen scripts that spawn projectiles when you go over the zone!! :D
<<

Quartz

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 am

Meh. The levels are good at utilizing Engineer. It's been proven time and time again that in order to make something special revolving around something controversial (e.g. dungeons, engineer, etc) you have to hate it first.

I think the RTS maps are great although they are exceedingly frustrating. (that's Engineer for you) On the other hand I don't really foresee anyone else doing even a half decent job of creating an RTS-like map.

2 maps =/= new niche, IMO.

bobdaduck wrote:I'm the only one who can both do good level design, and implement scripts.

I don't foresee anyone else really reaching that point soon. Maybe Little_Apple is on his way there but we'll have to see.

Lol. I'm glad I have only scripted one level, otherwise I might be offended by this. As it stands, I'll choose to believe I'm in the "good level design, bad at implementing scripts" camp.

I might not be a good scripter, but I don't exactly believe it to be hard to have items spawn when you hit a zone. I've seen much more difficult.

I think I, Little_Apple, Qui, and probably even a few others could all pull it off. That said, I have no interest in stealing your idea. I doubt I'd manage to add anything interesting to the formula, so there's no point.
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

kaen

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:15 am

So, official bobdaduck fan thread?

Also, scripting is easy-squeezy, anyone who wants to put in like twenty minutes of time could get the basics (and start spawning things from zones). All we really need is some knowledgeable member of the community to update the wiki pages. (cough)
bobdaduck wrote:Next, the moon!

└────────┘
⎈⎈⎈⎈
┌────────┐
<<

bobdaduck

Global Moderator

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 am

I'm fine with a bobdaduck fan thread.

I don't mean to say its hard to learn, what I meant was "it doesn't look like anyone is going to try to learn"

<<

Quartz

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:07 pm

I dunno ... am I considered a "bobdaduck fan" if I talk with him nearly constantly on a peer-to-peer basis? xD
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

bobdaduck

Global Moderator

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Quartz wrote:I dunno ... am I considered a "bobdaduck fan" if I talk with him nearly constantly on a peer-to-peer basis? xD

Everyone is a "bobdaduck fan". They just don't know it yet.

<<

sky_lark

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm

RTS has actually turned out to be a great map for solo play with bots. Not Feudalism, just RTS. Seriously, go ahead and try it:

- When alone, go onto the RTS and add the max number of S_Bots (10). Try to be on the winning team. It starts out seeming so easy, because all of the bots go for enemy cores and not yours. But as time goes on, they start ganging up on your own cores.

I've played this twice. First time I lost with the final score at 0-0-0-1. Second time I won but only because I was speeding desperately to each core. It was 1-0-0-0 and it came down to only two cores, each hanging on by a thread.

Upon further analysis I found that the bots wouldn't usually stick with the cores, just weaken them and move on. Eventually a core would suffer abuse from numerous enemies and explode. I don't know if this was purposely written into the bot strategy but it's very interesting, and RTS seems to capitalize on this with its numerous, vulnerable cores. Typical core maps will heavily defend their cores by design, as such the bot strategy of "slowly but surely" doesn't really have much effect.
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

Santiago ZAP

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:48 pm

bobdaduck wrote:
Quartz wrote:I dunno ... am I considered a "bobdaduck fan" if I talk with him nearly constantly on a peer-to-peer basis? xD

Everyone is a "bobdaduck fan". They just don't know it yet.

bobdaduck fans ftw
sky_lark wrote:RTS has actually turned out to be a great map for solo play with bots. Not Feudalism, just RTS. Seriously, go ahead and try it:

Its epic since you can consider it a Tower defence :P
:zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance:

Return to General Map/Server