FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bitfighter Alert Phone App?

<<

Quartz

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Bitfighter Alert Phone App?

I don't know if anyone in the community has any experience making phone apps, but I reckon a good idea would be to make one for Bitfighter. Nothing complicated, but the main feature I think would be awesome would be for it to send notifications about parties and contests and the like. A notification an hour before a party, and another at the start of it, would be excellent. I know it'd help absent-minded people such as myself.

I realize that anyone can do this with their calendar on their smartphone, but that requires them to actually do it. If we have an app that automatically does this, I reckon we'd pull more people into parties and contests and the like.

I know nothing about this sort of thing, so let the suggestions roll.
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

raptor

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: Bitfighter Alert Phone App?

A couple of questions to start research on this:

1. Can you give an example app?
2. To be more specific on your idea: would it connect to something like an event feed (say a calendar on bitfighter.org), then it would notify you as the event approaches based on that date (and perhaps you could even set up when it would notify you?)

Am I making any sense?
<<

Skybax

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:29 pm

I feel like it should not only have that "Players Online" thing that this website has give you notifications when people get on, but ALSO let users submit and upload their own party times.
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
watusimoto wrote:Who are the devs around here?!?
<<

amgine

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:31 am

Great idea!

Hmm maybe a IOS or a ANDROID app ?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

furbuggy

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:25 am

Yeah, maybe 3 features:
1. Show's who's online and the main green-text headline
2. Has a calendar for events
3. Has an alarm that the individual can set, with a iconic bit-fighter noise (so if you *really* want to make that event....)
BAM! I'm back.
<<

amgine

Post Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:31 am

Maybe have a count down / Reminder system.

Have a convenient time converter To covert all times to GST or any other time...
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:52 pm

I would dig a simple port of the bitfighter notifier app that would buzz my phone everytime someone logged onto a server and stayed on for at least 2 minutes.

As for party reminders, an impromptu solution is http://ohdontforget.com/ -- set it up to text you before a party!
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

amgine

Post Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:19 pm

Maybe have it notify you when someone posts on the forum as well that way you can keep track of your friends posts..
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Quartz

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:53 am

sky_lark wrote:As for party reminders, an impromptu solution is http://ohdontforget.com/ -- set it up to text you before a party!

There's a million and one impromptu solutions. I use them. I doubt I'm the only one who does. My entire point is that if there is a dedicated app that does this FOR people, it's gonna bring more people to the parties. It's really that simple.
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

Skybax

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:55 am

Yeah I don't wanna have to set reminders myself I wanna be on like a mailing list or something that the party people send reminders to but not actually emails I want buzzy phone notifications that make Bitfighter goal sounds
raptor wrote:Sorry Skybax, I hijacked your signature so I could post lots of info.
Whittling While wrote:Does this mean I finally get quoted in someone's signature?
<<

Quartz

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:30 am

Skybax wrote:Yeah I don't wanna have to set reminders myself I wanna be on like a mailing list or something that the party people send reminders to but not actually emails I want buzzy phone notifications that make Bitfighter goal sounds
This :)
<<

amgine

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:16 am

I would prefer the you got a badge sound for annoucning partys and contests that would sound more epic.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:42 am

Look, I too would like a mobile app... but this could be months out. All I'm saying is in the meantime, when we have a party every week and people aren't coming solely because they forgot, just take 30 seconds to plug in your phone number to the site I linked and it'll send you "buzzy phone notifications" when the parties are afoot.
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

Skybax

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:55 am

sky_lark wrote:it'll send you "buzzy phone notifications" when the parties are afoot.

I don't wanna go to afoot party
<<

amgine

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:57 am

Problem is if we get more players a large number would be unwilling to give their numbers out and I dnt think its good to be asking people for it there might be a better way ill have to think of it.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

bobdaduck

Global Moderator

Post Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:52 pm

A auxiliary benifit of this would be that people would see the app in the app store and be like "Hm. What's bitfighter?"
Little_Apple wrote:DnD: the REAL bitfighter levelgen documentation

Santiago ZAP wrote:bob doesn't make new maps, he makes new gamemodes
<<

Lone Wolf

Post Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:20 pm

this functionality can be jerry-rigged using something like a public Google Calendar which can give push notifications (ie buzzy alerts for your phone) to anyone who adds it to their personal calendar

more or less, anyway
if you're reading this, i'm sorry for how cringe my old posts are. i rarely play BF anymore, but if you ever want to find me, you can catch me on steam, or on discord @ muddy#7969
<<

bobdaduck

Global Moderator

Post Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:37 am

Whatever happened to the bitfighter status widget? Something like that, with additional "there is a party happening!", and that displayed the ticker feed on demand on mobile could be great.
Little_Apple wrote:DnD: the REAL bitfighter levelgen documentation

Santiago ZAP wrote:bob doesn't make new maps, he makes new gamemodes

Return to Promotion