FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

April 2017 Level Design Contest

<<

sky_lark

Post Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:21 pm

April 2017 Level Design Contest

Level design contests are back!
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Welcome to the April 2017 Level Design Contest! In this contest, you will be tasked with making the most out of a small space. Use imagination, technique and passion to craft the best level(s) possible and win prizes!

Design rules:

• The main play area of your level must be contained within a 6x6 grid. You may use less space but not more. See template.
    • You may decorate areas outside of the 6x6 grid, and change up the border as you see fit, but players may not be able to leave the 6x6 grid playing area.
    • An optional exception to the above is that you may add one 2x2 grid area (outside of the main grid) for each team present. Each area may only be accessed by one team. Think spawn control etc, but up to you. See template for example.
    • Level time must be 6 minutes or less.
    Only TEAM-based levels will be eligible for prizes, but you may submit free-for-all levels for fun.
Rule Clarifications:

• You may rotate the grids
    • You may use less space than 6x6 in the main playing area or 2x2 in the extra areas
    • You do not have to use a square border if you choose to use less space than 6x6 or 2x2 in their respective areas
    • You may have no border if you wish, the playing area just must be contained within the 6x6 grid. What this means is that there should be no reason for players to exit the playing area and play outside of it. If players still do, that's fine just so long as there's no specific design for it.
Levels will be judged on (in no particular order):

Creativity – What separates your level from the rest?
    Aesthetics – Is your level pretty or interesting to look at?
    Structure – Does your level play well? Is it free of glitches?
    Entertainment – Is your level FUN to play?
Contest timeline:

Monday, April 10 – Contest announced
    Sunday, April 23 at 12:00pm ET – Original deadline
    Sunday, April 23 at 8:00pm ET – First party
    Monday, April 24 – Feedback period begins
    Sunday, April 30 at 12:00pm ET – Revision/late deadline
    Sunday, April 30 at 8:00pm ET – Second party
    Monday, May 1 – Voting, stage 1
    Friday, May 5 – Voting, stage 2
    Sunday, May 7 at 8:00pm ET – Final party
    Monday, May 8 – Voting, stage 3
    Thursday, May 11 – Results announced

Update: Submissions deadline was pushed back a week so everything got shifted around a bit.

To explain the above, levels will be accepted until midday Sunday, April 23rd. There will be a party that evening then the public feedback period will open. All users are encouraged to post constructive criticism. Level designers will then have until midday Friday, April 28th to read over feedback and make appropriate changes. There will be another party that evening, and voting will open after.

PRIZES! If you...

• …submit one (1) level and you win, enjoy $5!
      • …submit two (2) levels and you win, enjoy $10!
      • …submit three (3) or more levels and you win, enjoy $20!
      • …finish in second place, enjoy $5!
      • …and seven (7) other users (excluding me) submit at least one level, the overall winner will enjoy an extra $7!
Misc Notes:

Remember only team-based levels will be eligible for prizes … Level designers MUST remain anonymous; I can be your middleman if you want to discuss a public comment … Voting will be conducted through an external google form to ensure no bamboozles … Low-effort joke levels are accepted but will not be eligible for prizes (humor is fine, just put in some effort) … At least five users or a comparable number of maps (my discretion need to be submitted to give away prizes (seriously, not hard) ... I reserve the right to disqualify and/or amend the above … Prizes will be given through Paypal/Venmo, Amazon, or gift card from here (if able).

AprilContest.level
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sky_lark on Mon May 01, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

sky_lark

Post Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: April 2017 Level Design Contest

I hope you all are having a terrific Easter! Just a reminder that there is ONE WEEK left to submit level(s) for this contest. Don't miss out on up to $30 in prizes! All levels due via PM to me Sunday, April 23 at 12:00pm ET (noon).
<<

Quartz

Post Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Aww snap. Sounds good!
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

bobdaduck

Global Moderator

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:00 pm

Apparently people still say aw snap anymore :)
Little_Apple wrote:DnD: the REAL bitfighter levelgen documentation

Santiago ZAP wrote:bob doesn't make new maps, he makes new gamemodes
<<

sky_lark

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm

If anyone wants contest reminders... like the facebook page and click on the little arrow to make it so that it appears at the top of the newsfeed! Or hang out in the discord as I'll be posting there :)
<<

sky_lark

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:07 am

Exactly FIVE (5) MORE DAYS to submit levels! We've got four, keep it up fam! Remember that the more levels you submit the higher a prize you earn if you win!

A couple things:

- Remember only TEAM-based levels are eligible for prizes. This is to dissuade people from just making a bunch of super simple boring FFA bitmatch levels.
- You may rotate the 6x6 grid
- You may use less space than 6x6 in the main playing area or 2x2 in the extra areas
- You do not have to use a square border if you choose to use less space than 6x6 or 2x2 in their respective areas
- You may have no border if you wish, the playing area just must be contained within the 6x6 grid. What this means is that there should be no reason for players to exit the playing area and play outside of it. If players still do, that's fine just so long as there's no specific design for it.

So for an example of the above: Image

The map on the left has an empty border, but it's core so there's no reason to go outside of the playing area. The map on the right has first aid kits outside of the playing area, so there IS a reason to go outside, which makes it not okay.

If you're unsure whether your level is okay or not, feel free to message me a screenshot of its work in progress and I'll look it over!
<<

sky_lark

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Just over 36 HOURS to go before this contest closes! We are doing okay on total number of levels submitted but really need more levels from unique users. I can't really afford to give away this much in prizes for only a couple users entered :/ Thanks all.
<<

watusimoto

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Here's a screenshot of the template in case you are having trouble getting it loaded...

<<

sky_lark

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Deadline extended a week. We have a decent number of levels but I know we can do better.

There will still be a levels party tonight at 8pm ET for those who submitted. There will also be some kind of reward distinction if someone who submitted a level before the original deadline wins the contest vs after, so if you can submit before today at noon, you should.

Otherwise, new deadline is April 29 at 12pm ET. More details to come.
<<

Quartz

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Good to hear. I'm sorry but what with this being the last couple weeks of school I needed more time.
Exploits of Quartz and bobdaduck - Pleiades Maps
19-year-old Quartz mad about lawn removal
raptor wrote:sometimes I think getting Quartz to use plugins is like getting my mom to use a computer
<<

raptor

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks for the extension! My finals are almost over...
<<

sky_lark

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:28 pm

I didn't want to extend it originally because I was hoping to do monthly contests for the summer season. But perhaps I'm moving too fast right now, and that's okay :) quality over quantity for contests!

Party TONIGHT at 8:00pm ET!!
<<

sky_lark

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Party is LIVE! :D
<<

sky_lark

Post Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:53 am

I'll be out of town Sunday so we can push the deadline back to 6:00pm ET as I won't be able to get the levels sorted out before then anyway.

Please add your thoughts to the discussion thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2792

And continue adding maps, we've only received one more map! Even if you make something basic and simple, submit that :)

Return to Contests