FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Spy bugs (should) reveal cloaked enemies

Forum rules
Post confirmed bugs and approved feature requests here. Unapproved feature requests will be deleted.

Please limit posts to One Feature per Thread unless features are closely related.
<<

Santiago ZAP

Post Thu May 14, 2020 11:42 pm

Spy bugs (should) reveal cloaked enemies

that and/or sensor reveals cloaked enemies for your entire team, could make for a nice counter to cloak in team-based enviroments, and make spy bugs a legitimate threat to cheap flag-stealing cloaked enemies, sensor just feels like an underwelming module and this could reinforce its strength
:zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance:
Last edited by Santiago ZAP on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance:
<<

Fordcars

Post Sat May 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Re: Spy bugs reveal cloaked enemies

Yep!!
skybax: Why is this health pack following me?
bobdaduck: uh, it likes you.
<<

raptor

Post Sat May 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Spybug is supposed to reveal cloaked enemies already. Does it really not?

Edit: wow, it doesn't - when did that change??
<<

amgine

Post Sat May 16, 2020 6:15 pm

I kinda dont like spy bugs in the regards that there only purpose is to counter act another ability.

that said without spy bugs cloaks would be come insane again so I can support this.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

Post Sat May 16, 2020 10:46 pm

Yeah, I was under the impression spy bugs revealed cloaked enemies on the commander's map haha! Good to know it doesn't!
Follow Bitfighter! FacebookTwitterDiscord
<<

raptor

Post Mon May 18, 2020 3:31 pm

I thought for sure it did, though - was this feature removed intentionally, or was it never there? I tried to search for any notes in the code history, but came up dry.
<<

Fordcars

Post Tue May 19, 2020 7:29 pm

raptor wrote:I thought for sure it did, though - was this feature removed intentionally, or was it never there? I tried to search for any notes in the code history, but came up dry.

Mandela effect?
<<

amgine

Post Wed May 20, 2020 8:20 am

I think I do remember it in fact doing this in a earlier build as well I could be wrong maybe it was 17 or 18? ( I think 17 builds)
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

raptor

Post Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 am

Fordcars wrote:Mandela effect?

Yeah, looks like it - I found an old forum thread about spybugs not revealing cloaked ships:

viewtopic.php?p=1084#p1084
<<

amgine

Post Thu May 21, 2020 9:49 am

Will this be put on github bugs and fixed or are we undeciced

do we know where the community stands on this?
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

Santiago ZAP

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:30 am

Mini-map, and why spy bugs are kind of trash?

If I may add to this a bit, Spybugs seem too un-inpactful as a module, being too fragile, too easily killed, and the ammount of times players use them stategically seems too low, (The C menu is hard to see/distinguish in most maps)

I want to add a bit of stuff people said about the spybugs, or the vision mechanic in general.

https://github.com/bitfighter/bitfighte ... -644188930

On this thread, wat/eykamp mentions how spybugs are super weak and killed by casual shots most of the time, which, true. A buff on the "Not getting killed by a random burst" would of course be benefitial, of course, but I think these could use a much bigger buff, and it has to do with something that, isn't the spybug mechanic in general.

I imagine this suggestion would be like, HARD to implement, being a completely new feature in bitfighter, but this would absolutely buff the vision aspect of bitfighter, especially sensor and spybugging the map, giving a huge advantage to your team, regardless if they press C or not.

If I may add to Quartz suggestion here, this could also add small "Important points" on the map, such as Flags, Enemies in vision with flags, and so on.

Here's a small mockup of whatever im talking about.

Now, the minimap as seen above would not be a literal C map, as having it small will look cluttered, and a mish mash of unseeable ships, instead, it would try to grab all key components of a map, and minimalize them as much as possible, while giving away only the most crucial information.

This mini map would then only show what's in vision of a team, meaning, you wont see a flag in the map if no one on your team has vision on it, or, of course, if you do not have spybugs near your target, giving it huge vision of it.

I would also like to ask for feedback from the community, this is the comparison of the C map and the information I decided it should show, as you can see, its only Walls, key items, and players, as Goal zones, walls and everything else would clutter it in a small space.

Even removing information, this gives a ton of clarity on where the important stuff is, in comparison to the normal map.
(I got a flag placement wrong, by the way, ignore that, haha!)

Of course, this would vary between game-types, Nexus should only show yard sales, and not all flags, soccer could show the goal zones, and bitmatch could show a much more pronounced distinction between you and the rest of the ships.

Finally, if possible, it could be toggled on or off just like the chat, depending on the player.

Please give your thoughts on this, I think it could give a huge stategic advantage to all bitfighter as a whole!

EDIT: Images didn't work
:zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance: :zapdance:
<<

bobdaduck

Global Moderator

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 am

A mini C map on the HUD should be a feature unique to enhanced sensor
Little_Apple wrote:DnD: the REAL bitfighter levelgen documentation

Santiago ZAP wrote:bob doesn't make new maps, he makes new gamemodes
<<

sky_lark

Post Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: Spy bugs (should) reveal cloaked enemies

To be honest, I think it's pretty tough to kill a spy bug errantly, even with a burst. They are so dang small! I have tough time shooting them straight on as it is haha.

A minimap would be sweet! Your mockup looks great - might prefer it in the upper right as that's where I'm used to seeing it in other games but not a big deal.

Honestly I think the most important value of a minimap would be position of players: Teammates, as well as enemies if they're close to other players or in spybug areas. And maybe flags/balls as well. So to be honest the walls might not even be needed. Just dots for the players, placed proportionally to where they are in the real map, so we could quickly see if teammates are defending or attacking, as well as where the flags/balls are. Cool idea!
<<

Fordcars

Post Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:54 am

bobdaduck wrote:A mini C map on the HUD should be a feature unique to enhanced sensor

A mini-map seriously sounds like a good idea, would probably convince more people to use sensor. All I ever use sensor for is to boost myself into outerspace tbh.

Santiago ZAP wrote:Image

THAT LOOKS AMAZING
<<

amgine

Post Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:45 pm

Can I be honest I think sensor should be removed a C map would be better as a general overall feature and it would make spy bugs useless (unless maybe it revealed stuff on the C map with sensor)

I agree with two things. 1 spy bugs need to be way harder to kill ( give them turret health or less) and two spy bugs need to lose there knockback.

an interesting thought I had is what if sensor when equipped slightly lowered energy costs on weapons and modules but that might be to much of a buff.
Bitfighter Forever.
<<

sky_lark

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:25 am

@Fordcars the sensor trick that santiago showed off has grown on me quite a bit. It's really disruptive in soccer, being able to quickly knock into the soccer ball and send it flying. I was able to hold my own decently on linear scaffold alone vs two opponents thanks to the trick; I would've been screwed just using phaser!

@Amgine I presume the mini commander's map wouldn't show enemies unless they were visible from a spybug or near a teammate, so spybugs would still have plenty of value. Also sensor is fantastic for revealing cloaked enemies. I guess the knockback could be removed from spybugs, but I've been having a lot of fun flying around after knocking into spybugs, so its removal would certainly be disappointing!
<<

Santiago ZAP

Post Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:35 am

sky_lark wrote: I guess the knockback could be removed from spybugs, but I've been having a lot of fun flying around after knocking into spybugs, so its removal would certainly be disappointing!

im coming off super biased here, but i love the spybug trick, its kinda easy to mess up too (see the ammount of times i've zapped myself trying it, or scored an auto goal), so theres a risk-reward thing going on with it.

sky_lark wrote:to be honest the walls might not even be needed. Just dots for the players, placed proportionally to where they are in the real map

didn't consider it, but this seems good too, just the fact that you can orient yourself around your teammates positions might be enough!

bobdaduck wrote:A mini C map on the HUD should be a feature unique to enhanced sensor

Im a bit mixed on this one, but it definitely would buff sensor in a way other modules dont, since the minimap could only show things in vision, sensor then could be used as a support module for covering the whole map in vision, if the minimap were implemented as a global feature.

Return to Bitfighter Features